Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Living the Dream!


For about eight weeks every year, I get to live my dream!

You see, I am a full-time working mommy, which royally kicks my ass most of the year. However, I work in education at a school, so every summer I get a taste of stay-at-home-mom-ness AND I still take my child to daycare two days a week. Ah, it is the best.

I get to experience both, and here, according to me, are the “bests” of both worlds.

Working mommy:
-Tired of the assholes at your house? Go to work!
-Adult conversation
-Hair-do, make-up, and “outfit” every day
-Day care experiences for my child in order to encourage sharing with others and a generally resilient and scrappy outlook on life
-Using the phone without a toddler around
-Using the bathroom without a toddler around

Stay-at-home-mommy (with two days of day care, yesssssss):
-No working mommy guilt
-Activities! Mommy and Me gym classes! More time to fit in fun stuff.
-Go to the zoo anytime you want!
-Take the child to the grocery store on a weekday morning and be more likely to get the cart with the car/steering wheel attached.
-Nap time
-Bonding time and what I call “saturation” (I think I need to explain that. Sometimes, when I have had A LOT of Parker time, I say that I feel saturated by him. I think fellow mothers understand that, or I’m crazy, but that is no big surprise.)

Are you a working mommy or a stay-at-home mommy? What are the “bests” in your world?

14 comments:

MommieDaze said...

I'm a SAHM. The best is getting to be around for kissing boo-boos and watching the baby do all his "firsts." The worst is not ever having much time to myself.

chele said...

I'm a working mommy. One of my bests (when my kids were in daycare) was that someone more qualified than me was spending the day with them. I'm not creative enough to be a SAHM. Enjoy the summer!

Actuary Mom said...

I am a working mommy who works part-time -- I have friday's off. i love getting to choose a Kassie day on my day off and sending Graham to daycare! :)

SweetPea said...

Right now I'm a working mom who gets off an hour early 2 days a week and has off on Fridays. It's close to what my ideal schedule would be (I would LOVE to work PT and be at home PT).

The best part of the working mom is getting 30 minutes of lunch where I get to eat all of my lunch without having to share with the toddler.

The best of being the PT SAHM is our Friday morning snuggle session in my bed. We snack on cereal and milk in bed while watching Emilia's favorite cartoon and we get to snuggle. I love my Friday morning snuggles!

Diminishing Lucy said...

Kristy, I love you. You have what I want.

I juggle work from home and the three little tackers.

I now have one at school, one at Kindy and one in childcare one day a week. I am a clown just juggling!

Oddyoddyo13 said...

I'm neither, but I'd say you got a pretty good best of both worlds situation going!

Lacie @ Creative Attempts said...

I am a stay at home mom but I work from home as well. So I feel like it's tricky I still don't get enough adult time or communication but I also get to be with my little man a lot. He starts kindergarten in the fall and then my life will change so much. I am exited and panicked all at the same time.

Chelsea said...

Hi! I'm your newest follower and am really enjoying your blog. Hope to see you around mine sometime!
Chelsea
http://vandylandmommy.blogspot.com

AiringMyLaundry said...

I stay at home. The best part is that I don't have to miss any part of my kids growing up. But the bad part is that I feel like I'm going to lose my mind at least three times a day.

Marketing Gurl said...

Hey Girl!!! I love love love the new look and you know I am grabbing your sticker! You are the best! Love, MG

Marketing Gurl said...

Okay so I was part time and there is a long story to why I am going back full time but I didn't feel like I was doing either job well...not full time mom, not full time worker...but OMG...I was crying so hard about going back to work full time...after 10 months of part time...I pray everyday to do what I really want which is staying home with my own business.

ElizOF said...

Love the post...and as a full-time working mom who has been a stay-at-home and also done part-time work, I can relate to all of your experiences... Happy SITS Thursday!
Cheers,
Eliz

Unknown said...

I get to work from home about 2 days a week and go into the city the other 3. It is a perfect blend of grown up and kid time. Love my life. So thankful! : )

kathryn said...

Wonderful post, sweetie! Of course, there are advantages and disadvantages to both....it's absolute heaven when you manage to find the bet of both worlds...

Love the new look over here! Heading over to check out your guest post!