Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Quilt Skillz

Posts like this one help counter-act my foul-mouthedness and inappropriate behavior.

However, it does not hide my tendency to brag about all my skillz.

For my birthday last year in May, I asked for a sewing machine. It came with a CD. I watched the CD and read the instructions for the machine and started quilting. I made one attempt to read about quilting by Googling it; however, one minute looking at that goobly garble, and I decided to forge ahead with my own rules.

I cut up the receiving blankets I had saved from when my son was a baby and sewed away.

When I had questions about how to finish it, I went to Hobby Lobby and asked the lady who works in the fabric section.

I ignored the HAG behind me who said, "Well, at least I know what I'm doing."

Voila! Here it is, hag!



So, then, I decided to go even more ambitious and make a huge, giant quilt with a unique pattern for my best friend for Christmas. I created my own pattern and bought fabric remnants in the sale bins.

Now that my friend has the quilt in her possession, I can share about THE ALBATROSS here:




The pictures do not do justice to how big it is.

I am taking a break from quilting for a little while. I may or may not tell you about my next project. I've always gotta have something going on.

19 comments:

Tracy said...

I applaud your craftiness and ingenuity. My sewing machine only came out years ago to make jumpers for my daughter. Now it gathers dust in my closet.

Carolina said...

Welcome to the world of quilting...you have the snobs and you have the rest of us, nice and willing to anwer any question! Love both quilts, especially the scrappy quilt. Keep it up.

championm2000 said...

I am jealous. I have always wanted to be able to sew, but after the 4th grade pillow project gone bad, I gave it up...

I love the quilts!

Liz Mays said...

Really? You nailed the quilting thing. I'm super impressed!

Unknown said...

I am jealous; I love home made quilts, but have never had the courage to try making one.

Mom of 12 said...

We love making quilts here! I have to admit that it is a little addictive. I just finished binding one for my grandson. Time for a new project.
Sandy

Angelia Sims said...

WOW! That is awesome! Looks like the old HAG did it, not some hip chick! I think it is beautiful. You should be so proud. I bet your friend FLIPPED.

Jessica said...

These are so nice!

I just posted tonight about two quilts I recently finished. It's like we read each other minds.

Anonymous said...

Wow that is genius! I'm terrified of sewing machines. :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I've always wanted to quilt. That's so cool!

Natalie said...

Look at you! You did a great job! I received a sewing machine for Christmas so we'll see what kind of skilz I have LOL!

Unknown said...

Wow! Sewing is something i haven't done I just don't think I have the patience. Good job for taking this one and bravo for not hitting the HAG behind you.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I love it!! Great job.

My Inner Chick said...

---Brava!

Beautiful Job. Wish I could do that. X

Sandra said...

I happen to like the foulmouthedness, but rock on sista friend with the quilting! And that hag can suck it, look at you go with no knowledge. You're like a quilting savant!
The quilts are gorgeous!

Suniverse said...

That HAG can go shit herself. What the hell? How are people that rude?

Love the quilts. I made one, when I was quitting smoking so I'd have something to focus on, and it was not impressive.

Yours are gorgeous. Well done!

Annette said...

Congratulations...your quilting is impressive! You're always surprising us with these unique talents (gems) that you ever-so-randomly mention. What else are you accomplishing on the side? The suspense is killing me :) Happy New Year Kristy. Here's to wishing you all the best. XOXO.

Mrs. Tuna said...

My sister loves to quilt, frankly she's can be a regular Martha Stewart Jr.

Jackie said...

Those look pretty damn good!! I love them both & how you made your own patterns!