Wednesday, April 20, 2011

If my Mama was a Blogger

One of the prompts for Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop this week was, “If my mom was a blogger…”



There have been times that I have heard my mom say, “I think your readers should know….!!” (what have you). So, I felt this a fine time to give my mom a voice on my blog, and I interviewed her.

Me: What do you feel my readers would be surprised to know about me?

My mom: When you leave me my grandson to take care of, you leave eight pages of instructions! I have had grandchildren before. You’re brother can attest to this. I don’t think your readers realize you are so ‘OCD’ like that.

Me: You ASK for instructions, Mom. Anyways. What have you been shocked to read on my blog?

My mom: When you called your husband ‘The Fucker!’

Me: Really?! (I figured it was when I called my son an asshole.)

My mom: Well, I know what an easy going guy your husband is, and I wasn’t thinking of him from a wife’s point of view. I was thinking about him from a mother’s point of view, and I wanted to protect him.

Me: What is it that you would want to know my readers to know about me?

My mom: You have a very unique gift of looking at life and giving a different way to look at things. If I ask you about something, you will be honest about it and give me feedback. I know you will level with me. And that has helped us have an even more special relationship.

Me: What has been something memorable from my blog?

My mom: Seeing all the dimensions of your life. There are so many different areas – your personal life, family life, work life, your going-out life/fun life. I LOVE when you write about the kids you work with. I’ve gotten to know you in an even more personal way by reading your blog.

Me: If you had a blog, what would it be about?

My mom: Raising a maniac! (my brother) No, it would be about you and Scott (my brother), and how you were the two kids that seemed to be raised by two totally different people growing up – you were so opposite.

Me: But now that we’re older?

My mom: Now it is fun! I love our crazy trips together and the holidays. But what I think really is there is the love we have for each other, how much we care for each other, and how much support you both have given me in hard times.

Me: What makes you laugh about me?

My mom: The stuff that comes out of your mouth! How do you think of it? You are so funny with Parker, and they way you look at life and the things he does. You have a great sense of humor. You also have this other side to you – you can be cynical and edgy. When you’ve had wine, your chin goes up, your eyelids go down, and you can let people have it. You have a sharp tongue. I love to watch you play Wii! You just get up there, and without even trying, you just get up and do it. You approach it with a hell-be-damned-attitude and you do great. I love to drive with you! It’s like I’m driving with myself and I don’t have to say a thing. You take care of yelling at all those stupid ass drivers out there.

Me: Do you know that I made my own cuss word for drivers on the road?

My mom: What?

Me: Fuckball. As in, "You're a fuckball!"

My mom: (laughing)

Me: So, on that note, how are we alike?

My mom: Well, we’re both Taurus women. We’re a little impatient. We have huge hearts and care about people. And, we both like wine. But, I like white.

Me: How are we different?

My mom: You’re more of a risk taker. And, you’re more determined. You’re more of a goal setter.

Me: What are your parting words of wisdom?

My mom: The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you’re still a rat. (Lilly Tomlin) Also, don’t let the bastards get you down. Also, my mom always told me to take the high road.

25 comments:

Julie H said...

I haven't told my mom that I have a blog. I wonder if she'll ever figure it out. I always censor msyelf to make sure and not let it slip when I'm talking about stuff lol.

Jen said...

That was a cool post! Thanks for sharing!

Cheryl said...

I love the interview with your mother - what a great idea! I see where you got your humour from for sure!

Jen said...

I love how chose to spin this prompt. Such a great idea. I might have to do something like this. :)

Jennifer said...

I agree w/ the others, I love your own spin on this prompt. Your post was very funny, yet sweet...I also love that quote "Don't let the bastards get you down" (John Wayne!)

{Stephanie}The Drama Mama said...

I see where you get your sense of humor. What a fabulous relationship you have with your mom. What a cute idea to interview her for this too!

--The Drama Mama

Unknown said...

Oh, I love your mom. Maybe she could talk to my mom, she needs to loosen up!

Jessica said...

What a fun interview with your mom. So funny how she was shocked by what you called your husband but not your son.

Tina L. Hook said...

How fun. And brave. This made me laugh.

Unknown said...

Great post. Your mom is really cool!

Stephanie said...

Great idea to interview your mom. She's cool!

Emily said...

I love what you did with this prompt! You are very fortunate to have this kind of relationship with your mom. I mostly just curse mine out on my blog.

Cam - Bibs and Baubles said...

this was such a fun interview. she should be featured weekly... just sayin!

Unknown said...

Love this post. Your Mom should definitely have a blog. I'm starting to really like white too - less of a headache.

Anonymous said...

VERY clever way to write this prompt! I loved it!

SherilinR said...

now this is making me want to interview my mom. i'm sure she'd have some choice things to say about me for all my bloggy-buddies to see.

Sara said...

This was hilarious!! Seriously, SOOOO funny!! you're mom sounds awesome :-)

Author Joshua Hoyt said...

That is so cool that your mom reads your blog. This was a fun interview I enjoyed learning more about your OCD and quirks.

Elena Wollborg said...

I love this interview with your mom. "Fuckball" is hilarious!

Babes Mami said...

Fabulous! I totally heart your mom!

Ca88andra said...

I love that you have a good relationship with your mother. My mother, if she were still alive, would probably not be interested in my blog. It would be way too technical and modern a thing for her to cope with.

Alison said...

What a great approach to the prompt! You're clearly very close to your mom. Loved this.

Sharde said...

i loved this. im fairly close to my mom even though she lives far away- i have this security blanket of talking to her multiple times a day on the phone, and since i tried to start weaning myself, i feel like crap as if i quit crack or something! my mom likes to be lower-tech so she doesn't really read my blog. but im also not as honest as you are! i envy you girl!

Unknown said...

Love this. I might have to steal your interview questions for my mama, though I'm a little afraid of what she might say.

Jess said...

Great post! I'm a chicken. My mom doesn't know I blog. :/