Monday, January 25, 2010

Genius Mommy


I stayed home from work today because Parker is sick. Our morning went really well. In spite of a fever and ear infection, Parker was in pretty good spirits. I even got extra cuddle and relax time with him when he wanted to watch movies. He went down for his nap just like normal, but he woke up from his nap abnormally early. For some reason, he woke up a different child. He woke up angry and highly upset. He was crying and screaming. Nothing helped. He didn’t want to lay with me in my bed, he didn’t want his music on in his crib, he didn’t want to watch TV, he didn’t want me to hold him and walk him around, he didn’t want to be held at all, he didn’t even care about his Lightning McQueen car. I had given him his medicine and Tylenol. There was nothing more I could do for him. All he wanted to do was literally stand in a corner and cry. He climbed behind our speaker/side table, hid and sat in the corner, and cried. It was awful. And you know what I thought? Well, let’s go to Wal-Mart. You may think I’m insane, and I often have this thought myself, but I felt like we really needed to get out of the house. I had a feeling that he might actually enjoy going to Wal-Mart. I figured, he’s going to be upset no matter what, so we might as well get something done while we’re at it. And what better place for a crying child than Wal-Mart? (You people without children hate people like me.) Anyways, I thought that if it got too bad, we could just leave and go home. On the drive there, I began to doubt myself. The crying and whining did not subside. He was not a happy boy. I started to worry and wonder if I was doing the right thing. Guess what?! It went great! Just like I thought. Instead of being big-mistake-mommy, I was genius-mommy. Parker loves people and looking at things in the store. It went so well, we even went to Petsmart too. And because it was Monday afternoon, I got front row parking at BOTH places! Man, sometimes I don’t know much about this mommy thing, but every once in a while, I impress myself. That feels good.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Very good thinking, Kristy! Diversion is a great parenting tool. I hope Parker is feeling better.