Thursday, March 11, 2010

Drink for Weight Maintenance?! Yesssss.

In my 20’s, before Parker, I went to a work conference with a friend/colleague. We shared a hotel room and being the capricious, consequence-be-damned kind of girls we were, we ignored the no-smoking sign in our beautiful room, opened the window, and puffed away, chatting, and sitting in robes.

My friend was complaining about trying to lose weight, and I said, “Yeah, I’ve been trying to lose 10 pounds for YEARS.” She almost spit out her coffee she laughed so hard. I looked at her, dumbfounded. Did she think I was joking? I was COMPLETELY serious.

Ahh, the weight issues that are so familiar to women everywhere.

Well, the Los Angeles Times reported on some new research that we’ve been waiting for, ladies! Here is the headline that caught my eye:

“For Women, Alcohol May Keep Weight Down”

The article actually says that women who drink moderate amounts of alcohol don’t gain as much weight in midlife as those who do not drink. Come to find out, I’m doing something right! At least I shouldn’t gain any weight over the years.

What’s that you say? Oh, yes, I know. “Moderate amounts.”

Moderation. Schmoderation. I’ve tried to only drink one glass of wine a day, but the problem is the glass is way too small.

So, I’ll pour one right now (actually it’s already poured, he he) because I would like to celebrate a bit. I have really been enjoying this blogging thing! I love hearing from each and every one of you, and I am discovering a world that feels positive and comfortable. Thank you, blogging buddies! See you around. Cheers!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved it so much I think I'll pour myself a glass of wine!

Oddyoddyo13 said...

Haha! Back at ya.

Brenda said...

I read that one too. And I was like YES! Finally some good news. And then comes the "drinking in moderation" bit. And I was like I knew it was too good to be true.; )

Debbie @ OtRD said...

Sounds good!
Stopping by from SITS to say hi.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Cheers!!!! Raise 'em up ladies, always knew we were on the right track. Uh, so what do they say about a 3/4 a bottle a day??? :) I wish I could smoke again, kept those 10 pounds off...damn cancer threat...

Stopping by from SITS. I'll be back soon
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

kathryn said...

Love it! See? We've got such stellar instincts, we're WAY ahead of the game!

Did you realize that the average bottle of wine is only about 2 1/2 glasses worth?

Patricia said...

*LOL* I love the cartoon at the end.

Wanderlust said...

Now there's some news I can raise my glass to and toast!