Monday, March 22, 2010

God Help Us. We're going on a Trip!


“We’re going on a trip, we’re going on a trip. . . Are we there yet? Are we there yet? My excitement’s getting stronger!” I’m sure you recognized that catchy little ditty from Nick Jr.’s very own Moose (by the way, can I just make one random comment by saying that there are no need for clocks in a house when there is Nick Jr.).

Today, we are getting ready for a trip, however, the exact ratio of excitement to trepidation is unclear at this point. We will set out tomorrow at 5 am and drive from Colorado Springs to Phoenix (you know, because we’re stupid). Traveling with children is just one of those things that has to get better with practice. We have taken Parker on just a few trips in his two years, and we have held onto the hope that it will get easier as he gets older.

So, here we are. Going on a trip.

It would be an understatement to say that I worry a bit. I also like to plan things out and think about things in advance and be prepared for many types of situations. I approach new things with a healthy dose of skepticism. Needless to say, I feel a little wary at the moment.

In anticipation of the necessary organizing, packing, and preparing, we have taken Parker to day care today while we get ready. It is a formidable task. There is just a whoooole lotta stuff to get together. So, naturally I have decided to sit here on the couch with Rachel Ray in the background and write and blog and check e-mail and Facebook. I will try to keep up with some of it while staying at my mom’s house, but we will see.

Here we begin another family adventure! Part of me has a bit of the ole Clark Griswold want for family fun and vacations. But part of me knows that there will be some annoying shit that goes on.

What are some things you have found to be helpful when traveling with kids? Here are a few I have thought of all by myself!

Dum-Dums to distract a fussy car-seat trapped little person
Soft activity tray for car seat
New never-before-seen activity books
Portable DVD player OF COURSE!
Ear plugs
Anxiety medication
White noise machines (yes, plural)
And, pretty much as many contents of my house that will fit in the car (husband is an excellent packer of vehicles)

Please pray for us, or send us warm thoughts in the universe, or conduct good voo-doo, whatever it is you do, do it. I know we’ll need it at some point!

17 comments:

Mommy X said...

Wow, good luck. I, too, am preparing for a family journey in about two weeks and am super nervous about having a 2.5 year old out of his element for a week. Keep us posted about how everything goes!

Unknown said...

You are the bravest woman I know. My folks used to pack: two adults (themselves), two kids (me and my brother), two dogs, and all of the things we would need for a Christmas vacation (yes, that includes presents) in a HONDA CIVIC. And then we would drive for OVER 24 HOURS to get to our destination. That's what we get for living in an isolated part of the country.

You know... my parents are crazy. But I have no doubt that I made them that way. lol

My advice is beer and sleeping pills. Seriously, you're the bravest woman I know. ;o)

Good luck. Hang in there!

Unknown said...

ps - just realized I wasn't following you! Silly me... I fixed it. :o)

Coupon Clippin Mommy said...

Have a great trip, we love dum dums here. visiting from Connect MEme Monday

Brenda said...

Sending you strength. Lots of it.; )

Gillian Behnke said...

We too are going on a trip, flying to Maui in just under 3 weeks. I have ALREADY started packing but it just seems far to overwhelming to think about. What the hell are we thinking?!

FYI, because I plain and simply love your blog, I just awarded you 2 more blog awards. You can see them on my site. :)

Gillian Behnke said...

We too are going on a trip, flying to Maui in just under 3 weeks. I have ALREADY started packing but it just seems far to overwhelming to think about. What the hell are we thinking?!

FYI, because I plain and simply love your blog, I just awarded you 2 more blog awards. You can see them on my site. :)

kathryn said...

A road trip? OH BOY! Are we there yet?

Now?

Now?

Now?

Now?

(Get used to this.)

I found the never-before-seen toys to be a MUST. Nothing like huge rewards for riding in the car...what great lessons we're teaching 'em!

Oddyoddyo13 said...

Hehe...I hope you guys have a lot of fun. My good thoughts are currently being sent your way!

Wanderlust said...

Woo hoo!! Road trip! Ah, it will be a piece of cake. We do it every year and look at me. Well, okay, maybe a bad example. But *you'll* be just fine.

MommieDaze said...

My advice? Stay home. Just kidding. Traveling with little ones isn't so bad as long as you're prepared. Sounds like you're prepared really well. Hope you have a great trip!

citymouse said...

Better bring that pinot! I have 5 boys and I can tell you as they get older the stuff gets less but the bickering increases. We only have the 3 youngest at home now and since they are teenagers, most trips are spent with iPods in their ears while they cat nap since they've been up all night playing X-box 360.

Love you blog... gonna hang out a bit and look around.

Dumb Mom said...

Excited to hear how it goes. This Dumb Family is taking out very first road trip (from MD to SC) this summer and I'm already anxious. Have fun and come back in one piece!

McVal said...

The portable DVD players were a God send! You don't know how many verses of Down on Grandpa's Farm I had to sing before those came along. Apparently Grandpa's farm has alligators & monkeys as well as a whole slug of other attractions...

Draft Queen said...

I can only do road trips alone or with women I adore. Road trips with children or family lead to warfare.

Best of luck to you and Happy Flog Yo Blog Friday!

Imperfect and Overwhelmed said...

How funny! I found you through MummyTime today, and just posted myself about the anxiety of a family trip, and all of the preparations that go along with it. Love your blog, and am following you now! Hope your trip goes well! :)

Smiles,
Sarah

http://babynotch.blogspot.com

Marilyn at live first, write later said...

I found you through mummy time as well. Enjoy the trip! I've got three small kids we've travelled with and I've never been asked, "are we there yet?" But I have had the then-3yr old sigh, "Boy! This is a REALLY long drive!"